Get in the Oktoberfest spirit with this recipe from the website GERMAN CULTURE:
450 g (16 oz) sauerkraut (1 can), drained
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
½ cup dry white wine
8 bratwurst sausages
1 cup chicken stock
10 medium-sized potatoes
- Simmer the sauerkraut for 10 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, soften the onions in the butter, browning lightly. Add the sauerkraut, wine, stock, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer the bratwurst in water to cover for 20 minutes.
- Peel and halve the potatoes. Add them to the sauerkraut in the skillet and cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, drain the bratwurst and brown lightly on all sides on a hot skillet.
- To serve, put the sauerkraut and potatoes on a heated platter and arrange the bratwurst on top.