Debbie Chapman, http://onelittleproject.com/birdseed-ornaments/
2.5 cups Birdseed (such as “Outdoor Songbird Mix”)
2 Packages Unflavored Gelatin (2 Tablespoons total)
2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
1 cup Water
12 Cookie Cutters
3 Drinking Straws, cut into 2” long pieces
- Add ½ cup cold water to a large bowl.
- Pour the 2 packages of unflavored gelatin on top of the water.
- Add ½ cup boiling water to the gelatin mixture and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add the corn syrup and stir until combined.
- Add the birdseed and mix well.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes until the liquid firms up enough that it won’t leak out from under the cookie cutters.
- Set your cookie cutters onto a parchment lined baking sheet and fill them with spoonfuls of the birdseed mixture. Using the back of the spoon, press down the birdseed mixture firmly to fill in all the gaps. Fill the cookie cutters to the top.
- Press the drinking straws into each of the shapes leaving at least ½” of space between the hole and the edge of the shape.
- Place the ornaments in the refrigerator overnight.
- To remove the cookie cutters, gently pull the metal away from the edges on all side then gently push the birdseed ornaments out of the cookie cutters. Gently pull the straws out.
- Thread a piece of twine through the hole and tie the ends in a knot.
- Hang the birdseed ornaments from tree branches, leaving room nearby for the birds to perch on while eating.